News

  • Koshe Survivors Still Struggle

     

    Though it has been five months since the deadly garbage hill slide occurred in Koshe Open Garbage Dumpsite in Addis Ababa, survivors of the incident are still complaining about unfulfilled promises and harsh living conditions, The Reporter has learnt.

    Survivors told The Reporter this week that they have faced harassment from officials for sharing their current conditions to the media.

    “Previously, you came to us to hear about our problem,” a survivor, who requested anonymity, told The Reporter. “The fact that you came brought more problems and harassment from officials from the wereda.”

    “The officials came with a story published in your newspaper and harassed us for disclosing information to media,” the survivor said.

    “Because of the story, they stopped food rationing for almost two weeks,” the anonymous survivor claimed.

    A week ago The Reporter paid a visit to a temporary shelter, which also served as youth sport center. Even though the survivors were promised that they would get a house, close 90 individuals including women, children and the elderly are still living in the youth center.

    The people that were met by The Reporter expressed their fear and concern for sharing their conditions to the media. On the other hand, there were others who said that they are fed up with the conditions and that they do not fear of openly talk about what is happening.

    The Reporter observed that the people, who were originally arranged to live in two separate rooms, are now residing in a very congested fashion. In that regard, in one of the rooms, which is made of corrugated sheets, close to 60 people have been living since the tragedy. This room is shanty at best with the wind and rain creating unfavorable conditions to children who are exposed to the kiremt cold.

    Read More:

    Read more
  • Strikes, Unrest in Multiple Cities of Oromia

      Strikes and other forms of signs of unrest reported in six cities of Ethiopia’s largest region Oromia in the past five days. The unrest is linked to an increase in the tax liabilities of medium and small size businesses. Reports of incidents Most business firms and local transport services were shut down on Monday in Ambo, Woliso and Ginchi cities. The first sign of unrest was seen in Ambo last Thursday where two vehicles were attacked. Ambo city, located 120 km west of Addis Ababa, was the hotspot of the protests in 2014 and also in 2016. Ginchi, 81 km west of Addis Ababa on the road to Ambo, is known as the beginning of the 2016 Oromo protests. Business firms were shut down at least until noon on Monday, according to HornAffairs’ sources. About 110 km southwest of Addis Ababa, in Woliso, another spot of last year’s protest, the federal police had to patrol vehicles passing through the main road on Monday. Businesses were shut down, and local transport services deserted the roads. In Burayu, a small town 18 km northwest of Addis Ababa, at least one business firm and a vehicle were hit on Saturday prompting businesses to close up early. Rumors of a business shut down on Monday did not materialize, however. HornAffairs’ sources reported incidents in areas further south of Addis Ababa as well. Vehicles were attacked in the outskirts of Shashemene on the main road to Bale, the southern zones of Oromia. Shashemene is 250 km south of Addis Ababa. Further to the south, 270 km away from Addis Ababa, in Kofele, the police disband a protest attempted by a group of young people. These two areas as well were hotspots of the 2016 Oromo protests.
    Read More:  

    Read more
  • Woman, 59, who tried for decades to get pregnant gives birth

    During nearly four decades of marriage, Akosua Budu Amoako and her husband tried to have a child, without success. But last month, at age 59, Budu gave birth to her first child after fertility treatments. The full-term 7-pound, 4-ounce boy was born June 15 at Bellevue Woman's Center in Niskayuna, near Albany. He's named after his father, Isaiah Somuah Anim. "They're doing super, very well," Dr. Khushru Irani, who delivered the baby, told The Associated Press on Monday. The couple, he added, "are so happy about the whole thing." Budu said she and her 59-year-old husband, who live in Schenectady, had tried for years to get pregnant naturally after they married 38 years ago, but they eventually stopped trying. Then last year, after learning that a 60-year-old woman in the couple's homeland of Ghana gave birth to triplets after fertility treatments, the couple, both medical professionals at a local hospital, decided to try once again to have a child. Irani said he was apprehensive at first, noting the risks of complications that can arise from giving birth at such an advanced age. "Initially, when I saw her, I'm saying no, it's not a good idea for your health to have a baby at your age," the doctor said. "But they were very insistent and they wanted to try it out." Read more

    Read more
  • Kenya TV election debate has just one candidate

    A TV debate for Kenyan politicians hoping to become deputy president in next month's elections went ahead even though only one candidate took part. Muthiora Kariara, a political novice who is running with independent presidential candidate Japheth Kaluyu, answered questions for about an hour. Some of the candidates were not allowed to take part because they arrived late. Political parties have accused the organisers of failing to consult them in the planning of the event. The main candidates for deputy president, the current holder of the office William Ruto and Kalonzo Musyoka of the opposition National Super Alliance, boycotted the debate. Viewers who tuned in saw a stage set with six podiums at the Catholic University of East Africa in Nairobi - but only one of them occupied. BBC Africa reporter James Copnall says Muthiora Kariara did not look overawed, even when the moderators appeared to struggle to pronounce his name. He took part in what became a solo question and answer session broadcast live to the nation - perhaps the best political advertising a newcomer could wish for, our correspondent adds. Read more

    Read more
  • Japanese doctor, who treated patients until months before his death, dies at 105

    Tokyo: A centenarian Japansese doctor, who treated patients until just months before his death, has died from respiratory failure in Tokyo on Tuesday, July 18 at the age of 105. Shigeaki Hinohara was one of the longest-serving doctors in the world and has helped set up the medical systems that have made Japan, one of the world’s longest-lived nations. He remained an active practitioner of medicine and treated patients even after he turned 100. He was born in 1911, a year before the Titanic sank and was the director and public face of St. Luke’s International Hospital in Tokyo for decades, so well known as an “international” hospital that it treated luminaries such as Paul McCartney when he fell ill during a 2014 Japanese tour. He was working at St Luke’s as early as 1945, when he treated victims of the World War Two Tokyo firebombing that left vast swathes of the city in ruins. A hospital spokeswoman said,”From the start of this year his health wasn’t so good, but until then he’d drop into the hospital every so often to conduct exams and talk with patients.” An early advocate of healthier living to stave off the ills of ageing, Hinohara in 1954 introduced Japan’s so-called “human dry-dock” system of comprehensive annual physical exams, part of the preventive medical system said to contribute to Japan’s longevity. Read more

    Read more
  • Qatar considers seeking damages over Gulf blockade

    Economy minister discusses compensation with trade officials in Geneva as legal team prepares to study the sanctions. Qatar has announced that it is considering legal action against four Arab countries led by Saudi Arabia and the UAE, demanding compensation for losses incurred owing to the ongoing blockade. Ahmed bin Jassim Al Thani, Qatar's economy minister, met on Tuesday the heads of international trade organisations in Geneva, Switzerland, to discuss the case for compensation. Qatar has contracted a specialised legal team to study the actions taken by the blockading countries against it, according to a statement from the economy ministry in Doha. Separately, Khalid bin Mohammed al-Attiyah, Qatar's defence minister, said the country may even its case to the International Court of Justice (ICJ), also known as the World Court, at The Hague. Because of its financial reserves and as long as it can continue exporting liquefied natural gas, Qatar has avoided any crippling economic crisis because of the blockade. But it has been forced to rely on planes to import food, after Saudi Arabia and the UAE blocked shipment of goods into Qatar. Read more

    Read more
  • 10 record-breaking records that have made history

      Luis Fonsi's summer hit Despacito has officially become the most-streamed song of all time - only six months after it was released. It has been played 4.6 billion times on streaming services. On YouTube, the video for the song has been viewed more than 1.8 billion times. It has also reached number one in 35 different countries. The song was originally in Spanish, but became popular in the English-speaking world when Justin Bieber heard the song in a nightclub and asked to add a verse. It has actually taken the record off Bieber's own song Sorry, which held the streaming title before. When asked why he thinks the song is so popular, 39-year-old Fonsi told BBC Music: "Obviously, it's a very catchy melody. The way the chorus starts Des-Pa-Ci-To is very easy to remember. "And obviously you add Justin Bieber to that, and it brings another angle to all of this. But I wish I knew exactly what the secret was, so I could apply it to all my future songs!" So which other songs have smashed amazing records like this track?

    Read more
  • Baltimore boy's double-hand transplant a success, doctors say

    A Baltimore boy who became the first youngster in the world to undergo a double-hand transplant two years ago has been recovering well, and doctors said they can finally rule the procedure a success. Zion Harvey, 10, underwent the surgery in 2015 after his hands were amputated when he was 2-years-old, according to the BBC. Harvey lost his hands and his legs below the knee because of sepsis. Harvey’s kidneys also stopped working. He had a transplant at the age of four after his mother, Pattie Ray, donated a kidney to her son. The infection “can change a person’s body temperature, heart rate, and blood pressure, and prevent the body’s organs from working properly,” according to Kids Health. The infection can “lead to serious complications that affect the kidneys, lungs, brain, and heart, and even cause death.” Harvey had to wait three months for a hand donor because the organs needed to be “the right size, skin tone and blood group compatibility,” according to the BBC. Harvey is not the first to have the surgery but he is the youngest to undergo the procedure. Some 40 medical employees at the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia participated in the hours-long operation to attach the new hands on Harvey. “We wanted to really make sure that this was going to work for our patient and work for a lifetime,” Dr. Benjamin Chang, co-director of the hand transplant program at the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia, told the BBC. Harvey’s doctors called the surgery a success and were pleased with how the boy’s brain has communicated with his new hands “despite the absence of hands during a developmental period of rich fine motor development between the ages of two and eight years.” “His brain is communicating with his hands,” Dr. Scott Levin, lead surgeon, said. “His brain says for his hands to move and they move. And that in and of itself is remarkable.”

    Read more
  • On Nelson Mandela Day, UN calls for actions to improve world

    (1/3)Danny Glover, American actor and United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF) Goodwill Ambassador, speaks during a ceremony marking Nelson Mandela International Day at the UN headquarters in New York, on July 18, 2017. Marking Nelson Mandela International Day, UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on Tuesday called for actions across the world in promoting peace, sustainable development and lives of dignity for all. (Xinhua/Li Muzi) UNITED NATIONS, July 18 (Xinhua) -- Marking Nelson Mandela International Day, UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on Tuesday called for actions across the world in promoting peace, sustainable development and lives of dignity for all. "Nelson Mandela continues to inspire the world through his example of courage and compassion, and his commitment to social justice and a culture of freedom and peace," said Guterres at a ceremony held here in celebration of the Day. "The best tribute we can pay this great man is not words or in ceremonies, but actions that improve our world," said Guterres. In November 2009, the UN General Assembly declared July 18, Mandela's birthday, as "Nelson Mandela International Day" in recognition of the former South African president's contribution to the culture of peace and freedom. Also on Tuesday, president of the UN General Assembly Peter Thomson said today's world is in desperate need of Mandela's values of empathy, kindness, and respect for common humanity as violent conflicts continue to rage and hate crimes against migrants as well as minorities are on the rise. Read more

    Read more
  • Saudi airstrike in Yemen leaves 20 civilians dead

    An air raid in Yemen has killed at least 20 people mostly from the same family, the United Nations (UN) and witnesses said Wednesday, the latest in a series of suspected strikes on civilians by a Saudi-led coalition. The attack on Tuesday afternoon hit a group of civilians in the Mawza district of the southwestern province of Taez, a statement by the UN refugee agency said. Residents said the attack was carried out by a warplane from the Saudi-led coalition fighting rebels in support of Yemen's internationally recognised government. At least seven women and four children were among those killed, they said. The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) said it was “deeply shocked and saddened at reports of the deaths and injuries of a number of internally displaced persons in an aerial attack” on the area. The statement said the civilians had fled fighting in the nearby Mokha district, on the Red Sea coast. Coalition-backed forces loyal to Yemen President Abd Rabbu Mansour Hadi recaptured the port of Mokha in February as part of a major ongoing offensive to drive rebels from Yemen's lengthy coastline. The UNHCR statement said more than half a million civilians, 27 per cent of Yemen's internally displaced people (IDPs), originate from the governeorate of Taez. Read more

    Read more